Pou Mātauranga - Education Director
Listed 23 December 2020
The Pou Mātauranga will be a champion for learning at Pūkaha National Wildlife Centre, located 20 minutes North of Masterton.
This is a new position at the wildlife centre that has been created as a part of a significant initiative to grow environmental education opportunities for students across the lower North Island.
The Pou Mātauranga will build positive, collaborative relationships with iwi, kura, schools, vocational education providers, universities and other education focused groups to increase awareness and participation in environmental education programmes.
Working closely with external and internal experts and stakeholders, they will develop and deliver environmental education programmes onsite and in the community. These will meet the needs of learners, align with and support delivery of New Zealand’s education curriculum requirements and enhance skills and passion for the environment that have far reaching positive outcomes for Aotearoa.
In addition to formal education programmes they will work alongside Visitor Centre and marketing staff to explore ways to enhance visitors’ learning outcomes through fun and meaningful experiences at the reserve.
Required skills and experience include;
- Good understanding of Mātauranga Maori and Te Ao Maori perspectives
- Knowledge and experience with tikanga Maori and some knowledge of Te Reo Māori (fluency not essential)
- Experience working with people of all ages and from all walks of life in education, learning and research environments
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the New Zealand Curriculum and the environment in which schools operate to design and deliver their curriculum
- Comprehensive knowledge of conservation issues
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage projects
- Ability to think and work in a creative manner
- Tertiary qualification in Education or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated PC literacy
A competitive package is offered including a tool of trade vehicle.
If you have a passion conservation and education then we want to hear from you!
Applications close 5pm 15 January 2021.
For more information email [email protected]
Please note that replies may be delayed over the Christmas break.
Kaitunu kai /Chef
Listed 3rd December 2020:
Pūkaha National Wildlife Centre, 20 minutes north of Masterton, is seeking a permanent part time Cook/Chef with a difference!
The Pūkaha Visitor Centre welcomes people from New Zealand and all over the world to experience the wonders of this ancient forest alive with native birds and wildlife and we want our café to be part of the unique and special experience.
Kākā Café is a popular and busy café onsite at the National Wildlife Centre. As part of the ongoing vision to develop and grow Maori experiences at Pūkaha we are seeking a part time Cook/Chef with a passion for creating delicious kai using traditional Māori ingredients as well as European style café food. This is an exciting opportunity for a creative and passionate cook to be part of exciting changes at the centre.
Successful applicants will be willing to work in all areas of the business (point of sale, table service, barista coffee making and dish washing) and will be available to work weekends, school and public holidays.
Essential skills and qualities sought include:
- Knowledge and experience creating traditional Māori kai and using traditional ingredients.
- Proven experience working in a busy café/restaurant or catering environment.
- Ability to lead and motivate teams
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Staff supervision and training skills
- Menu design and delivery
- Working within budgets, cost minimisation and cash handling
- Health and Safety emphasis, ensuring this is maintained within the team
- Strong Communications skills
Desirable experience, qualifications and attributes sought include:
- Genuine interest in conservation and nature
- License Controllers Qualification
- ServeWise certificate
- Experience working in a licensed premise
- Qualification in Business, Hospitality, Chef or Barista.Experience working in a not-for-profit organisation or tourism business
Hourly rate to be negotiated based on experience and for the right person.
Enquiries and applications (including cover letter) should be sent to Sarah Watkins at [email protected]